On Feb 26, 2011, at 1:35 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

> On Feb 26, 2011, at 9:34 AM, Eric Weir wrote:
>

>> I've purchased a split image focusing screen for my *ist DS from Haoda Fu.
>> The instructions he provides are for Canon cameras. He says the procedures
>> are similar. I've looked for instructions on replacing focusing screens on
>> the Pentax site, but found nothing.
>>
>> I'm about ready to give this a shot. Any guidance or precautions would be
>> appreciated.
>
> There are good instruction on the katzeye site

Thanks, Larry. Wish I'd had em before. As it turned out, with one exception, I
did it pretty much the way she says to do it, but I had to experiment a little
to figure it out myself.

The exception had to do with her recommendation to blow out the mirror chamber
before and after the installation. Not being forewarned I didn't do that, and
when I got done I had dust particles in the viewfinder that were not there
before -- several of them. I ended up taking it out a couple times and tried to
get rid of them with a brushed blower, but managed only to move them around.

It's not as bad as it was, but I think I'll get a brushless blower give it
another try. If that doesn't work, I'll get somebody to do it for me.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net