On Feb 27, 2011, at 1:27 PM, Bob Sullivan wrote:

> Frank,
> I wouldn't spin it so anti-auto maker management.
> Managers gave the union the wage and benefits packages they wanted,
> then passed the costs onto the consumers.
> Low priced cars like the VW Beetle made inroads in the US market.
> Customers began to vote on price and managers responded.
> Unfortunately the rush to take costs out also affected quality.

And the cost of doing business with heavy union obligations made it impossible
to build cost competitive cars with the quality the market place required.

> Eventually the foreign makers were shipping in cars created
> with better quality by employees paid a lower wage.
> High trade barriers would have been the only chance to keep
> the high US union wages, but foreign workers wanted a share of that
> prosperity.

And to eliminate any possibility that the U.Sl unions might eventually insist
on trade barriers, foreign automakers built plants in the U.S. in "right to
work" non-union states.  Their labor costs, particularly for retirees, are far
lower than those of the union shops.