On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Shel Belinkoff wrote:

> Aaron Reynolds wrote:
>
> > Yep.  But it is accepted as the default photojournalist 35.  That's the
> > point I'm trying to make...why is that acceptable to carry around, but
> > the 67 is insanely gigantic?
>
> It's only acceptable to some people, and in some circumstances. And it
> does defeat the purpose of a discreet, 35mm camera.

True.  And rangefinders defeat the purpose of a versatile, modular 35mm
camera (the F5 has a very wide range of interchangeable finders, lenses,
backs, etc.).  To each their own... I'm glad that both options exist.

> My point is that 35mm and 67 are not necessarily interchangeable,
> especially small, discreet 35mm cameras.  While there can be
> situations where the 67 is a better choice, it is not the best choice
> in others.

Of course.  What the Brotherhood <g> was trying to get at was that it's
often the same people criticizing the P67 for its size and weight who use
just-as-heavy 35mm cameras like the F5.  Or who have never used one in the
field for a day.  If someone starting slamming rangefinders for being
awful street cameras, but had never taken the time to actually use one
themselves, what would you think?

> Both cameras are, to many photographers, insanely gigantic. If you
> like the camera, fine, enjoy it, use it to make photographs that suit
> your style and personality.  But please, stop trying to enable
> everyone on this list to follow the lead of the "Brotherhood". It's
> becoming tiresome and annoying, and the humor has gone out of it.
> The horse is dead, stop beating it.  We've gotten your message - over
> and over again.

Geez, lighten up.  It's no worse than a lot of other threads... at least
this one is about Pentax equipment, correcting some stereotypes about a
much-maligned camera, and winning converts to the One True Way.  Er...
scratch that last bit.  ;)

Brother Chris, P67B