Hi John

On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 13:32 +1000, "John Coyle" <jco...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:
> Thanks Brian - was guided by your email of 4/3, which said that an image
> had
> to fit in an 800x800 box.  It might be worth clarifying that portrait
> images
> cannot be taller than 533 pixels or will need resizing for the gallery?
> certainly don't want to cause you additional work when putting the
> gallery
> together!

The 800x800 box limit applies to galleries from the April PUG onwards.

I think that we are still at cross purposes a bit because portrait sized
images can be submitted up to 800 pixels high - they don't need to be
limited to 533 pixels high.

The idea behind the way the gallery now works is twofold:

* to enable viewers to see all the images in the gallery without having
to scroll those that are deeper than the browser window, and
* to allow viewers who want to see the images at the largest possible
size to do so.

I might be being a bit pedantic here but (hopefully) for the sake of
clarity....

An image deeper than about 533 pixels (of any aspect ratio) won't be
physically resized, it will just have its height attribute reduced to
533 pixels within the associated html file  - the rescaling to that
height is then done by the viewer's web browser.  However, when the
viewer clicks on the displayed image, the full-sized image will then be
displayed (and will need to be scrolled).

As an example, if someone submits an 500 x 750 pixel image, it will be
displayed in the gallery at 355 x 533.  When the viewer clicks that
image, the full 500 x 750 pixel image will appear.

The only time that I will physically resize an image is if it exceeds
the 800 x 800 limit.

Cheers

Brian

Brian Walters