On 3/14/2011 10:25 PM, Krisjanis Linkevics wrote:
Now whether cards become bad with time or not is mostly dependant on
the hardware/software controller on the card itself - depending on
how good it is at choosing places to write files and how good it is
at marking the bad spots on the card - the card could either die very
fast or live practically forever. So what card you buy really
matters.

Kris, I am somewhat confused now. What you say makes perfect sense except one detail. I thought that CF cards were those that had controller on board. The SD cards as I understand don't have controller on board. Therefore it makes certain sense (may be not too much sense, but still) to write to/format the card in the same controller (the camera). I am not sure if reading from the card can actually damage its contents...

Another question I'd like to ask - how many read/write cycles there has to be made before a certain location on the card becomes flaky? I mean what is card's MTBF? You see, I still have that 1GB SD card (SanDisk) that I bought back in 2006 that still works. My empirical understanding is that several tens of thousands of read/writes don't have significant influence on the card performance.

Boris