On 3/15/2011 12:59 PM, Cotty wrote:
Indeed. I am most worried by the fact that (judging from our local news
agencies) Japanese officials started using word "Chernobyl" and
comparing their situation directly to Chernobyl catastrophe.

The current situation at Fukushima is nowhere near a 'Chernobyl'
situation. Chernobyl was something entirely different, with the
resulting explosion pushing highly radioactive material well into the
atmosphere where it was carried by prevailing currents far across the world.

Fukushima (at time of writing) is still very localised, even if there is
radioactive material venting.

HTH

Sources:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster>

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12726591>

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12745186>

Cotty, I am certain that Japanese learned the lessons of Ukrainians. I am also certain that technical pedigree of gear and engineering staff is superior in Fukushima.

I am more worried by the panic that may ensue. Consider city such as Tokyo (I reckon it is good double digit figure of millions of inhabitants) in mass panic?! That's what really frightens me.

Boris