On 2011-03-16 13:33 , Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:23 AM, steve harley<p...@paper-ape.com>  wrote:
a beauty of email is that the discussion need not be linear --

When a message-response thread goes non-linear, people should change
the subject to indicate that it is off on a different topic.

that's very idealistic, and while i somewhat agree, human behavior intervenes to make threads highly non-linear; it happens all the time within the confines of a topic as well -- people don't synthesize every message in a thread before responding to one point; for a true timeline-based messaging system, try Twitter or IRC (and watch them devolve into awkward @ incantations when people try to go non-linear)

the question of whether the subject line changes is actually not necessarily relevant to threading; subject shifts within a thread were anticipated when the in-reply-to header was specified

What you want is a preview
that doesn't change the state.

what i want is a state that is what it says it is (and i get that -- as an option -- with another client)

i am happy to agree that you have an approach which works for you and a lot of others, however i have to draw the line at you telling me what i want -- there are several use cases for the "read" behavior i prefer, and i was trying to lead you to the abstract principle, which has no dependency on previewing

i'll resist the standard "Apple makes only one flavor" reply and ask is an
email client a flavor of ice cream, or is it an ice cream shop, or what? how
about if food had a preferences menu item, and if you didn't like something
about it you could change it as you ate it -- too salty, dial it down /
needs more chocolate chips ...

Apple provides one Mail client and gives it to you free. You can
download several dozen others free or commercial. Whatever else you
are trying to imply with your question I don't have the energy to
engage as a debate. ;-)

closing your previous message by telling me i can use what i want felt to me as if you hadn't really wanted an answer to your original question, "why wouldn't someone like Mail?"; i know the alternatives fairly well, i have used email for 33 years and these days i use three email clients

so i'll answer again more in the spirit of your food analogy: it's not like ice cream -- it's like choices of several different options of slightly spoiled food; i eat what gives me nutrition with the least indigestion; i accept that everyone's taste is different, but i do feel too many people assume the first thing they taste is the way it's supposed to be

Remember: I work for Apple as a contractor right now, and was an
employee there for a decade and a half. A lot of what Apple does ... I
had a hand in setting some of the policies. So there's no use debating
my opinion. ;-)

there was at least one Mail.app engineer on Mac OS X Talk in the early aughts; several of us tried debating with him, and i am well past that; debating features with Apple proxies is like ... [resisting impulse to use political analogy]

anyhow, i'm not trying to convince you to dislike Mail, just trying to cross a communication gap; you asked a question, and i answered sincerely; then you refuted some points in a way that made me feel i didn't get my meaning across, and you gave me an unrequested prescription in the process