That was 1976, so it was the last year I wrenched a funny car. At this time of
year, we had just built a second Corvette fflopper, and were getting ready for
its first event at the old dragstrip near Detroit. Our shop was on 67th and
Pulaski in Chicago, and it was a nice setup: a 1500 square foot warehouse
surrounded by ten foot fencing with razor wire on top. The Corvette was hard to
drive because it didn't create a lot of downforce, but it was sleek, and we set
some mph records. A 237 mph clocking at NY National was our best. In those
screaming dragstrip commercials that used to play on the radio, it was billed
as the world's fastest Corvette, which it may well have been at the time,
albeit with a nitro-burning  supercharged Chrysler engine.

On weekdays, I worked on the race car primarily at night, and taught school
during the day at Percy Julian High on 103rd and Vincennes in Chicago. I had a
couple of Honors English 3 classes, a humanities class, and a job program that
I administered. My kids were great. Ninety percent young women in the Honors
English classes; a hundred percent boys in the job program.  It wasn't easy
keeping the ladies quiet, but they were good students, and we made a lot of
progress.

I was just getting my feet wet writing for car magazines and shooting some
races. I started shooting my own photos after complaining about how little I
was paid to write. The editor told me he had to save some of the money for the
photographer. "I can do that, I said." I had tinkered with cameras for many
years, so I had some hint of how to take decent photos and eventually figured
it out. I knew the drag racing thing couldn't go on forever, given my other
responsibilities, so the journalism and photography gave me a way to stay close
to the car biz. By 1980, I would quit teaching, move to NY and become a
full-time writer and photographer.

In March of '76, lived with my wife and infant son in a Chicago bungalow at
10637 S. Bell, in Chicago's Beverly Hills neighborhood. I had purchased that
house for $20,000 in 1972. In the fall of '76 I sold the bungalow for 33K and
bought a 1920s colonial with a spanish tile roof and copper gutters for 43 K.
It was less than a mile south of the bungalow in an old Chicago neighborhood
called Morgan Park.

There were some tough times that year. The race car went backwards into the
guard rail at 200 mph in July, and, while the driver suffered only a concussion
and a lot of bruises, our operation never recovered from the financial hit. My
second born, a daughter, was born with pyloricstinosis in December and nearly
died before an 86 year old pediatrician figured out what was wrong. She
survived and now has a daughter named Grace. A few rough spots, but all things
considered, 1976 was a good year.

Hadn't thought about any of this in many moons. It's good to reflect.

Paul