On Apr 9, 2011, at 11:40 PM, Bob Sullivan wrote:

> Dave,
> Nice catch!  The backlighting works to make the bird the focus.
> And that's mighty close for a shy bird!

The photo I posted yesterday is cropped a bit to remove clutter but the 400mm
does get you pretty close.  These birds are a bit smaller than a sparrow.

I got another shot today which I may post later.  I think it's slightly out of
focus but the lighting looks better.  I need to look at it on the computer
screen to see whether it's usable.

> Hope things are getting back to normal in NZ.

The "boil water" notice was lifted on Thursday and we're now using up the water
that we'd treated and put into large plastic bottles.  We have a 10 litre one
in the kitchen to hold boiled water for drinking which we usually kept about
half full, and a 20 litre one in the bathroom with bleached water for
hand-washing.  I must admit to some trepidation about drinking the tap water
after several weeks of having to treat it.

The birds will be happy now as I've re-levelled, scrubbed and refilled their
swimming pool.

Not sure if I mentioned that we had a heat pump installed just over a week ago
after our remaining chimney had been removed.  We have a gas fire that had been
installed into the old open fireplace so that's now useless and will be taken
out at some stage in the future.

Our insurance company had to be bailed out by the government as they've used up
all of their capital along with their own reinsurance.  That shouldn't affect
us much as EQC are covering the important stuff.

I'm expecting the sewer system to take about a decade to fix.

The CBD is still mostly closed, it's a mess in there.  I saw a small section of
it last week as there are a couple of roads open.  They've been opening up a
few sections to let business owners retrieve important items.

And I finally caught up with a friend who lives fairly close to the epicenter.
The insurance estimate to repair his house is $120,000 to $140,000.

Cheers,
Dave