Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote on Wed, 13 Apr 2011 15:25:25 -0700

> LOL ... I have never heard Pentax referred to as the "Japanese Leica".

I read it somewhere, probably Modern Photography way back in the day when
Herbert Keppler was still active.

> Leica is most reknowned for its lenses and rangefinder cameras and
> Pentax—the name itself was derived from the pentaprism used in SLRs.
>
> Erwin Puts ... Well, his article would be a heck of a lot more
> readable and sensible if he learned how to use paragraphs to structure
> his thoughts. He rambles.

Does he ever.  Trying to follow his thoughts is a real challenge.  His camera
and lens reviews are equally turgid...  But there is often some gold buries in
the dross.

> I'm in the middle of re-reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
> Maintenance" right now. I read it first in '76 or so, again about '81,
> and with all the water under the bridge since, reading it now points
> out some very interesting fallacies in the logic presented as
> Phaedrus' hunt for the 'ghost of rationality'. Some fundamental
> premises seem just plain wrong to me now.
>
> But, achingly clawing my way through this mass of text, I do agree
> with Puts' fundamental premise, although the words he uses are
> strangely construed. In the modern world of equipment über alles, too
> much weight is lent to numbers without a shred of intelligible
> discourse given to the why of their primacy. Everything is opinion,
> belief and a faith-healer's trust that "numbers don't lie."
>
> Well, the numbers are just numbers: they're evidence, not truth.
> Interpreting the numbers is where art and understanding lies.
>
> Just like we can confuse ourselves and think we are increasing our
> understanding when we banter on about how photosites work, photon
> counting, etc, the truth is that very little of this has much to do
> with photography and a lot to do with technology and engineering.
> Being able to stand back from the technology, see how the equipment
> behaves and then bending it to our purpose of producing photographs,
> not theorizing about the engineering of better equipment, is often
> lost.
>
> Equipment cannot make photographs. Only people can. People with eyes,
> sensitivity, and skill to know how to work the equipment. Truly
> ..."equipment often gets in the way of Photography."

Well said, Godders.  I'd like to hear more comments in this vein from other
regulars here.

Regards, Jim