On Apr 13, 2011, at 6:37 PM, Tim Bray wrote:

> My first, as I noted, was a Balda Baldini, inherited from my Dad when
> he got into Pentax.  I don't have any pix I took with it, but I do
> have some that he did, dating all the way back to 1953.  I think some
> here might enjoy them, and I'd enjoy seeing anyone else's first-camera
> pix.
>
> Baldini Sunset (the oldest pic, 1953):
> http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2005/11/04/FSS
> My Family: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/01/26/Fifties-Pix
> Roads: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2006/01/13/FSS

I don't have scans of first pictures taken with my camera, though someplace I
have a binder full of negatives in plastic sleeves.

I do have some recent photos that I took with my first camera at Burningman
last September:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157624809385751/

I brought the Argus thinking it might be fun to run a roll or two through it,
and the weather was so dusty during the day, I didn't want to bring the DSLRs
out, and ended up shooting almost eight rolls of film.

Tying in with the craftsmanship thread, I find the process of shooting film
with a very basic camera, either the argus or the rolleiflex I was given last
August to be a lot of fun, and to have a certain aesthetic purity to it. Even
so, for getting real work done, I much prefer almost everything about the
digital process. Frankly, I'd rather spend my money on lenses than film,
chemicals and darkroom supplies.