On Apr 15, 2011, at 6:57 AM, Darren Addy wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 14, 2011, at 8:40 PM, Steven Desjardins wrote:
>>
>>> Sneaky.  My brain initially tried to interpret the circular saw as a
>>> flower.  I needed a glass of whiskey to recover.  Thanks, BTW.
>>
>> Heh.  I took your cue and went for some whisky myself.  Lagavulin if you
>> care.
>
> Lagavulin: The Canikon of Scotch.
> : )
>
> Seriously, it is well-regarded but tastes much like burning styrofoam
> smells, to me.

Not burning styrofoam, more like burning cormorant feathers.

> Fortunately, I did not pay for the bottle from which
> this was discovered.
> : )

Islay malts, like rangefinder cameras, are a specific taste.

As to camera equivalents:

The Glenlivet:  Canon (rebel)
It's the one everybody knows about, you can buy it anyplace, and I'm just not
particularly fond of it.

Glenfiddich:  Nikon (d5000?)
Nearly as ubiquitous as The Glenlivet, but I like it just a touch better.

Laphroaig:  Leica
Quirky, expensive, only appeals to a few, but they really like it.

Lagavulin:  Fuji X100
Very similar to Laphroaig, but with a bit more complexity and character.
Someone who doesn't know them wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Aberlour:    Pentax
Similar in many ways to The Glenlivet and Glenfiddich (actually made in
Glenlivet) but less expensive, and to my taste a lot better.

Glen Morangie: Sony
Another very common one, that is very easy to find. They go off in their own
direction a lot with the double wood aging.