On Apr 17, 2011, at 12:32 , John Francis wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 02:19:30PM -0400, Igor Roshchin wrote:
>>

>> "A pair of binoculars" - is this two binoculars or just one _binocular_?
>> ;-)
>>
>> But one optical device in question is called a binocular, not binoculars!
>
> Not in English.
>
> It may not be accurate, or rational.  But it is "correct" (sic) usage.
>
> You can also use "binocle", or just the singular "binocular".  But by far the
> most common form is the phrase "a pair of binoculars".  Or so says the OED.

Avoid referring to them that way. Instead use "my binoculars" - "your
binoculars" - "these binoculars" so peoples brains don't get twisted around
their eyes - oh, wait! They already are!

(yes, I see the double plurality in those words...."peoples brains")

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

http://gallery.me.com/jomac