Sharpening the L channel in LAB space is a great method that prevents any colour shifts. (This is effectively what the sharpening controls in ACR and LR do now apparently.)

I've always found that filtering that you apply to the A or B channels has only really subtle effects. I don't think you'd see the effects of sharpening them very much unless you pixel peep. You can, for example, apply very large amounts of Gaussian blur to A and B and barely notice it when you revert to RGB.

Contrast or Curves tweaks on A & B on the other hand are marvelous. You can get really nice colour saturation boosts without clipping or blooming. I've used that on flowers and it works really well.

-bmw