On Apr 20, 2011, at 9:06 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

> From: John Francis
>
>> If you were talking about one car - the 2005 Ford Focus - then you shouldn't
>> have made a generalised dismissive statement about automatics always having
>> decreased MPG.
>>

> Actually, I didn't.
>
> I originally responded to Larry that I didn't care if an automatic could "out
> perform human shifting", I still prefer the manual.
>
> I was told I was *wrong*, as if anyone but me is entitled to decide what I
> should want.
>
> But, I take your point.
>
> What vehicle selling for less than $10k on the used car market in the US
> comes equipped with a double clutch automatic gearbox that gives higher MPG
> than the comparably equipped manual transmission model?
>
> What kind of MPG does it get?

I recall that the automatic trans Ford Fusion of about four or five years ago
outperformed the manual trans model on fuel economy. (I was writing their
brochures at the time, so it's burned into my memory.) And that was with a
standard five speed automatic, no double clutch, although it had a modern
lockup ocnverter. But it was primarily just a ratio and shift point advantage
that made it better. I believe it was 29 mpg highway. Not that great by today's
standards, but food for a midsize car at the time.
Paul