On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Aaron Reynolds wrote:

WARNING:  This explanation is Not Suitable for British School Kids:

> On Friday, February 22, 2002, at 07:59 AM, Paul F. Stregevsky wrote:
>
> > A year or two ago, a PDMLer for whom English was a second language
> > criticized a lens with the epithet, "It's the socks!"
>
> HAR!  I told someone the other day, jokingly, that something was "the
> socks", and they looked at me funny...and then, as I was about to
> explain myself, I couldn't remember where I had heard the expression.

It may be a bowdlerization of "it's the dog's bollocks!", a vulgar English
expression equivalent to "it's the bee's knees!" or "it's brilliant!".

> THANK YOU.  I'll call Vanessa and tell her that I'm not a freak.

Jeez, man, you tell her that *after* the wedding.

dave
--
dave o'brien - http://www.diaspoir.net
Oh, so there you are!