On 05/05/2011 18:58, Boris Liberman wrote:
On 5/5/2011 16:55, mike wilson wrote:
Southern Scotland. That's not bad for a native speaker to understand.
Here's a selection of more extreme versions from the same area.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rab+c+nesbitt&aq=f

Hmmm. I think you live relatively close to there, right (*)? Also, I
suppose you meant to say "non-native speaker" if you were referring to
me. But I appreciate the slip of your tongue :-).

No, I did mean native speaker. I can appreciate that it might be problematic for non-natives. "Relatively" is a relative term. About 150 miles from the really dense accents of that type. We have a few of our own around here.....

One of the popular science programs here has a presenter that always
raises his voice towards the end of the sentences. He sounds vaguely
similar to this accent except that his is perfectly clear. Well, he's a
popular science program presenter after all.

Wondrous, wondrous indeed.

(*) No hint, no pun, nothing, merely pointing out something that
occurred to me.