Larry, some quick Googling leads me to the conclusion that an external SSD via FW or USB2 may or may not be worth the money and trouble, but it would be expensive for me to find out. FW800 restricts the overall r/w speed to about 80MB/s whereas the SSD drive should be capable of up to 500MB/s over an internal bus. There's some speed improvement, but not what I'd hope for. See ...

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/03/09/is-an-ssd-in-a-firewire-case-any-good
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1046727

OTOH, a couple of commenters noted that the SSD drive has ultra low latency, so the bus speed restriction is not such a problem. Seek time completely disappears so multiple random access operations for small files is much quicker over the FW SSD.

Unfortunately, it would cost me $250 to get a case and SSD to try this. That's a bit rich for an experiment.

I'll probably pass and wait for an iMac upgrade to one of the latest ones with Thunderbolt I/O. Configuring in an SSD is a purchase-time option.

-bmw