On May 6, 2011, at 04:23 , frank theriault wrote:

> That's what it's called when swans swim around with their necks curved
> and wings half-raised.  There were several doing it (not near each
> other or other birds), so I thought it might be a mating ritual ("See
> my beautiful feathers?  Surely you'll want to copulate now!"), but
> apparently it's a show of aggression - although I don't know who they
> meant to be aggressive towards.
>
> Whatever, here's a swan, busking:
>
> http://knarfdummyblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/display-of-wings.html
>
> Hope you enjoy.  Comments welcome.

I like the shot Frank. I haven't been at the right place at the right time with
swans. Good job.

I can't find a definition that supports "busking" as a swan thing, though I
don't see why it could not be derived from the early european nautical use for
tacking or cruising around.

busk 1 |bəsk|
verb [ intrans. ]
play music or otherwise perform for voluntary donations in the street or in
subways : the group began by busking on Philadelphia sidewalks | [as n. ] (
busking) busking was a real means of living.
• ( busk it) informal improvise.
DERIVATIVES
busker noun
ORIGIN mid 17th cent.: from obsolete French busquer ‘seek,’ from Italian
buscare or Spanish buscar, of Germanicorigin. Originally in nautical use in the
sense [cruise about, tack,] the term later meant [go around selling,] hence [go
around performing] (mid 19th cent.).

I only heard the word used some 8 months ago when a friend brought to my
attention the couple playing guitars on the periphery of an outdoor concert
near here, telling me she used to busk when she was younger, as she pointed to
the sign by the performers "Busking for Love and Money".

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

“ Nature is considerably more creative and inventive than humankind. Without
Nature there isn't any humankind. Without humankind, Nature is fine.”