On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 4:16 AM, John Sessoms <jsessoms...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

> Parameters are that you would be on the road for a minimum of thirty days
> for a photo safari. The goal of the trip is to produce photography suitable
> to illustrate a travel article you could sell to a newspaper or magazine
> along with the photography. It is important to be able to represent both the
> people and the scenery of the locale being visited.

Is there anything you really cannot do with the classic 35/90 travel kit?
Say the 21 Limited, which gives 30-odd mm equivalent view, and a
50 mm?

I'd say ideal lightweight kit would be 21 and 70 Limited and either
43 1.9 or 35 macro depending whether you need macro.

The A 35/70 zoom is also pretty compact, as are teleconverters
and the adapter that makes the 21 act like 14.

> Transportation is problematic. ...
>
> *ALL* of everything you are carrying - photo equipment, clothing and any
> other essentials must fit into one U.S. Government Issue duffel bag ...
>
> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Gium7tfpL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
>
> ... plus one *SMALL* carry on (22" x 14" x 9") bag.

I normally travel quite light. For anything up to about three weeks,
*only* a carry-on bag. For a month or more, one big wheeled bag
roughly the size of your duffel, but *no carry on*. I just do not
think having carry-on is worth the trouble.

Granted, on my rare trips back to Canada from China,
the duffel-ish bags gets stuffed with gifts for friends.
Last trip it was 35 kg (77 lb) or so, which is not
really travelling light.