On 20/05/2011 2:54 PM, Mark Roberts wrote:
I'm up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, doing a bit of hiking
and also taking photos with a K5. I'm really enjoying both experiences
except for one truly vexing issue with the K5...

I've sussed how the 4-way controler on the back works in two modes,
one of which assigns each of the four buttons a special function
(white balance, drive mode, etc) and the other which makes the buttons
act like the focus point selectors of earlier cameras. One switches
between the two modes by pressing the center botton and holding it for
two seconds. The trouble is, when doing nature photography in the
field one needs to be constantly changing focus points AND switching
mirror lock-up on and off. The whole "press the center button for two
seconds and then make the change you want" process is getting to be
beyond maddening. Is there an easier way to quickly access mirror
lock-up (or focus point select)? I'm working mostly in manual focus
mode for the time being.

No, Pentax broke it with the K7, fixed it with the first firmware update, and then broke it again with the K5.

--

William Robb