On May 22, 2011, at 10:30 AM, Ecke PDML wrote:

> 2011/5/21 Stan Halpin <s...@stans-photography.info>:
>>
>>  Hyperdrive makes these. http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive-s/119.htm
>> A shell costs $99. Install the drive of your choice, up to 1TB. Internal
>> rechargeable battery with good capacity. One version will serve as an
>> external drive (of sorts) for the iPad, so you can dump your SD cards to the
>> Hyperdrive, then move the images to the iPad for minor editing and display
>> (e.g., to share with your fellow travelers or with the villagers you are
>> living with.) If you have enough cards, don't reuse them.  The Hyperdrive
>> provides a primary back-up and the iPad provides a secondary backup.
>
> alternatively there is the seagate goflex satellite wireless hard disk
> for iPad now. and the airstash but it has bad reviews.
>
> -

What I was envisioning was as follows:
1. Capture many good images.
2. Have enough SDHC cards along that you needn't reuse them.
3. Download the images to a Hyperdrive via its card-reader slots.
        a. Connect the Hyperdrive to your iPad
        b Transfer the best of the images for
                b(i) showing to others involved in the trip
                b(ii) secondary backup
4. On returning home, connect the Hyperdrive as a USB external drive to your
home computer
        a. transfer files and go on from there.
        b. if there are any problems, then go back to the SDHC cards, download
from those.

So, to fit this workflow, my portable drive needs to have the SDHC-reader
capability, needs to serve as a USB drive back home, and needs to connect to my
iPad in the field.
Note that this is all speculation as I have no iPad. I've done something
similar to the above using my laptop, but it seems that the iPad would be a
better device for sharing photos with others.

stan