On 2011-05-23 14:26 , Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:57 PM, steve harley<p...@paper-ape.com>  wrote:
"not freewheeling" is just an informal way of describing this situation:

iOS apps aren't inherently multitasking, to run in the background they must
implement a method which handles the backgrounding event, and there are
certain limits, not the least of which is that only some services (e.g.
audio) can run continuously in the background; other background processing
is suspended after ten minutes, and background apps may be terminated when
memory is needed for a foreground app

The multitasking schema is restrictive due to the fact that power and
performance considerations for a mobile device stacks the multitasking
prioritization appropriately.

i completely understand, and i don't have a problem with it; in fact my initial statement was intended to head off a potential comeback from Ecke about how iOS doesn't do "real multitasking" -- i was ready to point out how "freewheeling" multitasking could make it much harder to manage battery life

i spent a good portion of my life freewheeling and i'm glad to say that i now see the wisdom of the middle way