I have the Non-SMC screw mount version of this lens, which I bought for
~$450.

It's a nice lens and delivers very good results. The manual aperture take
some getting used to but was less of a problem than I initially
expected.  In my tests sharpness at f4.5 was not good, there was a big
improvement at f 5.6 and another big improvement at f8, at which I could
consider it very good to excellent.  Comparing it ot other telephotos, stop
for stop, I'd rate the Takumar as slightly sharper than the Tokina 400
f5.6; but not on par with the A* 400 f2.8, or the A* 400 with the matched
teleconverter.   But at it's price, it's a great buy and excellent bang for
the buck in terms of quality.

The biggest drawback, IMO, is the 10 meter minimum focusing distance.  For
birds etc I'd usually shot with a tube on the end, which can lead to
vignetting at close distances.

If the $575 is for an SMC K mount version, it's a great buy.  It's also a
good buy for a screw mount. If it is not the Super Multi Coated screwmount,
make sure it is the 4 element 500 f4.5, and not the earlier 2 element 500 f4.5.

- MCC

At 08:10 PM 2/23/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Ran across one of these for $575 usd at a local shop. At the time, I
>didn't think to look closely at it, now I'm feeling a little "enabled".
>I'm not sure if it is the K mount or screw mount, but I don't think that
>it should make much difference since it's manual aperture and I have an
>adapter.  So, a couple of questions:
>
>1.  What are anyone's opinions on handling, image quality, etc.
>2.  is this a decent price?   The lens looked to be in about 7 or 8
>condition, assuming that the glass is fine. Is there much of a
>difference in price between K mount and screw?   I'm *pretty* sure that
>it had a rubber focusing ring, so perhaps that means K mount.
>
>Any replies appreciated,
>
>William in Utah.
>-
>This message is from the Pentax-Discuss Mail List.  To unsubscribe,
>go to http://www.pdml.net and follow the directions. Don't forget to
>visit the Pentax Users' Gallery at http://pug.komkon.org .

Mark Cassino
Kalamazoo, MI