Thanks for the generous comments to Daves Mann and Brook, Christine,
Don, Ecke and Steve.
If I have to worry about getting too close to the fungi, then Bill
Robb's lenses must be toast.
The colours got a little help.  The mushroom itself is untouched save
for a little levels and saturation, but the grass had some golden
highlights on the right that unbalanced the composition and flattened
the 3D illusion (warm colours advance, cool colours recede).  I
selected and re-hued them (PSE8: enhance>adjust color>replace color)
to blend better with the left hand side that was shaded from the
golden hour sunlight.  Some dark vignette, a watermark and Bob's your
uncle, it's more real than reality.
If anybody can name that mushroom/toadstool I'll add that to the
caption and tags and give you credit for the info.

regards, Anthony

   "Of what use is lens and light
    to those who lack in mind and sight"
                                               (Anon)