Steve,
I would agree that the buildings are problematic.
Sometimes the pump is in front of a 10 foot wide, stand alone building,
no bigger than a small 1 car garage and quite interesting.
More often, the abandoned pump sits on a bit of concrete pad in front of
an expanded and re-skinned building that is now a convenience store.
The new siding on the building belies the original building beneath.
Regards,  Bob S.