On Jun 2, 2011, at 2:12 PM, Bob W wrote:

> An interesting article here for those comrades who are interested in the
> history of social documentary and reportage photography:
> <http://www.foto8.com/new/online/blog/1424-worker-photography-movement>

OK, a couple of glasses of wine later, I have read through the whole interview.
Though I'll admit to skimming some portions.
I am still not wild about the pretentious tone of the interviewee, but he is
after all a museum curator so it may go with the territory.

Muttering about style aside, I did find this quite an interesting look at a
somewhat coherent photographic movement aiming to illustrate the class struggle
articulated mostly by Communist thinkers.
"...groups of amateur worker-photographers were exhorted to lay bare, in a
'hard and merciless light', the iniquities and social ills of capitalism..."
I am sorry he took a somewhat dismissive stance with respect to the U.S.
depression-era works:

>> "... the Lewis Hine-FSA-Life magazine paradigm, which involves a reformist
>> social-democrat narrative
>> of the role of documentary as a paternalistic depiction of the working class
>> and the dispossessed."

I cannot see how Dorothea Lange's photos are substantively different from those
that illustrate the story, but I guess the point is not the images themselves,
but rather the way in which the photographers and editors used those photos in
shaping a social narrative.

Anyway, thanks Bob for the link.

stan