Alan wrote:

>Okay, I just read the review of Nikon FM3A in PopPhoto. It is exactly what I
>wanted, but the problem is, it doesn't take K mount lenses. I have been
>thinking, will there be enough market for a Pentax MX2A which is similar to
>the FM3A? Consider there are large amount of Pentax manual focus users out
>there, a brand new US$500-600 Pentax mechanical body should be marketable.
>No, I don't mean the strip down K1000, but a quality body like FM3A (except
>an extension of the original MX). Am I wrong?

Yes, you are. Pentax will never manage to sell such a camera for 500USD.
Try 1500USD. They have to make the camera from scratch. They have no
production lines or facilities from the old MX. They will also have to
redesign it completely. Nikon, on the other hand, still have the Nikon FM
production line in place, parts supply secured, all paid for a long time
ago (20+ years). Besides, Nikon have a significant larger market for such a
camera due to its customer base. A realistic comparison for such a Pentax
is the Olympus OM-3; we all know what that one costs. If Pentax wanted to
keep such a manual focus camera in it's line-up they would still have
offered the LX. After all, it would be cheaper continuing the LX, perhaps
upgrading it, than spending R&D on a whole new body.

Pål