From: John Francis

There are a couple of things going on here.  Obe is that Google
tries to give you the fastest route between your origin and the
destination, so you're likely to end up on interstate highways.
If you force the route to go along Skyline drive (by dragging
intermediate points), you'll see another one of the contributing
factors. The driving directions get red-flagged with the message
"This road my be seasonally closed".

I think the "fastest route" is the problem.

Google's search engine (and that's what the "Get Directions" is) isn't adaptive enough to figure out that if someone selects two points at either end of a scenic byway, you're not looking for the "fastest route".

There's an option to "Avoid highways" and one to "Avoid tolls".

How about an option to "Take scenic route"?

The red flag for "This road my be seasonally closed" doesn't bother me. I'm not planning a trip for when the roads will be closed, and I already knew about it. Having that additional information doesn't make the directions less useful.

-----
No virus found in this message.