On 2011-06-15 09:40 , John Sessoms wrote:
The printer was six years old. Nothing special, just plain vanilla B&W
laser for general printing, but it was reliable.

i'm a fan of the 1990s HP LaserJets; i'm currently using a LaserJet 4000 TN i got at a yard sale for $30 (with four toner cartidges), but the LaserJet 4 family is the most common, and the 4mv (tabloid size) is one of my faves; they are quite reliable, a little slow perhaps, and easy to maintain with the resources at fixyourownprinter.com; the trick is recognizing a good one -- look for low page count, clean in and out, and versions with an ethernet port (or with a separate JetDirect dongle); Adobe PostScript level 2 or above can be desirable, but not essential; be sure to print a few test pages from each tray and from the manual feed; look inside again after the test prints to be sure it's not dumping toner; it is easier to find one when you aren't in a rush

i have a long-idle LJ 4+ with an untested JetDirect in my garage, but i doubt it's worth the postage