Ah yes ... reminds me of the time we were lost in the wilds of Afghanistan. Fool guide forgot the bottle opener and we had to survive for 5 days on nothing but food and water.

From: "Bob W"

From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> Stan Halpin
> One frequent topic here, most recently raised by John Sessoms, has to
> do with the kit to take on a trip, and the question of how to carry it
> all. I have found the solution to the second question.
>
> http://www.justluxe.com/livingluxe/reward.php?cid=1569184
>
> If you are going to buy lens or lenses at $10,000 for a photo safari,
> why not a trunk to put the gear in?
that's all very well for someone fulfilling their Hugh Hefner / James Bond
fantasy but the designer has obviously never been a Real Traveller - there's
nowhere to put cleft sticks.

I've always found it most useful to turn to accounts of Real Travel when
planning my own humble excursions and have recently been much encouraged by
Bowman's The Ascent of Rum Doodle. In it he describes the logistics for
their renowned expedition:

"The object of the expedition was to place two men on the summit of Rum
Doodle. This necessaitated the establishment of a camp at 39,000 feet
stocked with a fortnight's supply for two, so that in the event of adverse
weather conditions the party could wait in comfort for an improvement. The
equipment for this camp had to be carried from the railhead at Chaikhosi, a
distance of 500 miles. Five porters would be needed for this. Two porters
would be needed to carry the food for these five, and another would carry
the food for these two. His food would be carried by a boy. The boy would
carry his own food. The first supporting party would be established at
38,000 feet, also with a fortnight's supplies, which necessitated another
eight porters and a boy. In all, to transport tents and equipment, food,
radio, scientific and photographic gear, personal effects and so on, 3,000
porters and 375 boys would be required".

He later gives great praise to the porters, who were essential for the
success of the mission, and mentions that despite their short stature - few
of them were above 5 feet in height - they were immensely strong and each
carried a load of 1,000 pounds.

I think that puts the Playboy Trunk into its proper perspective.