On 23/06/2011 8:44 PM, Stan Halpin wrote:

I have the 55/1.4 and quite enjoy that lens. In the film era I had an
FA*85/1.4, the 55 reminds me of that lens. And that lens was very very nice in
many respects. I regret selling it but I needed to finance purchase of my 77mm
which had equivalent quality, similar FOV, and much is smaller and easier to
travel with. If I had to give up the 55mm or 77mm today, I would probably keep
the 77, again primarily based on size. But the 55/`1.4 makes a great companion
to the 21mm for walking a city like Venice or Rome in the evening . . .
I can't compare the 55 to the FA-50; I never liked the look or feel of FA
lenses and was able to pretty much skip over that generation of lenses,
substituting either M or A lenses or FA* lenses. And then we got to the digital
bodies and DA and DA* lenses and I've had even less reason to acquire any FA
glass.

I keep forgetting I have the 55/1.4. It's such a large thing that I tend to use anything but that lens. It's very sharp indeed, even wide open it's decent.. I've been enjoying the 43 quite a bit lately. I really like it, and at f/8 I don't think there is sharper.

--

William Robb