On Jun 26, 2011, at 3:36 AM, Igor Roshchin wrote:

> I didn't quite understand what did the guy with his shoes in the pedals
> do and how he got back into his shoes... Did he jump out of his running
> shoes and then put his feet into the riding ones that were attached?

Yes, pretty much.  He came into transition after the run and took his running
shoes off.  He'd left his bike in the rack with the shoes already clipped into
the pedals.

For safety you're not allowed to ride within the transition area.  You can see
a line on the ground behind him which is where they're allowed to get on the
bike.  So the athletes will just run in their socks.  Once on the bike they can
put their feet into their shoes while moving.  It's actually better to do it
this way because the sooner you get moving the less time you lose.
Triathlon-specific bike shoes are designed to make this as easy as possible
with a big opening and one single velcro closure.

Less experienced athletes will put the bike shoes on while in the transition
area but it's extremely uncomfortable to run in them, as well as being bad for
the cleats.  It takes a bit of practice to be able to do what this guy is doing
so I would guess he's fairly competitive.

Cheers,
Dave