On 7/11/2011 07:40, Igor Roshchin wrote:
I remember reading about the fact that the newborns either do not have
as fast reaction of the pupil to the bright light, as most humans do,
or their retina is too fragile, and that until some age (N weeks), a
photo flash (especially with repeated use) might cause some damage to
the retina. I cannot seem to find any "solid" source for that now, and in
particular, I don't remember how many weeks that lasts.

I think that it is something different. Consider yourself being a dad of 10 days old baby. A guy comes over and starts flashing your baby. Now, you want to politely tell them to stop that because you think and feel that your baby is uncomfortable. So you "invent" this "grown-up" argument that flash is harmful.

I do think that a flash discharge too close from one's face (regardless their age) is generally a thing to be avoided. I also do think that when one is photographing someone else, one should be aware of their subject comfort.

Just my cents.

Boris