I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but I usually have no problem getting the
AF540 to work as fill. In daylight, you do have to use high speed synch mode of
course, and the flash will revert to a 1/180th shutter speed if you don't
override it. I generally use program "P" mode on the K-5 and set the shutter
speed up to a value that works with the stop and ISO I want -- quite often
1/500th, f5.6 and ISO 200 in backlit or crosslit conditions in daylight. I
usually set the exposure comp on the flash to -.5 or -1, depending on the
amount of fill I want. I have occasionally experienced strange exposure
problems, but generally this technique works for me.
Paul