My opinion is that if the "Pro" set up in a position to get himself aced by an amateur, he isn't much of a pro. The attitude of entitlement reflected by both the author and the, and I can't stress this enough, a**hole, who berated the guy with the "iPhone" is one of the reasons that Newspapers are dying. News photography is hard, if you can't produce images when needed you don't deserve the job. If I was the a**hole's editor I;d be looking for the guy who got the picture to buy it from him, and maybe offer him a job.

Finally where "cell phone" guy, though in truth the headline lies, "slinks off", "Ultimately, it was clear he didn't really need the pictures." got his shot. Maybe he just didn't think he needed to stick around to be berated afterwords.

Photographers are not a protected class, nor should they be, if they can't do their jobs they should look for another.

The author keeps stressing that he's not being condescending, yet it drips off of every word.

Sorry for mixing the Ironic quotes, with actual quotes but in this case is there really any difference.