Hi Darren,

When doing macro I've always found that magnification is more
important than minimum focusing distance.  I usually set up a
combination and photograph a ruler and while I'm at it measure the
distance between the front of the lens and the subject just for good
measure so I know what I can fit under the setup (usually a tank of
sea water).  It's annoying when you get down to 1.5mm or so filling
the frame - I need a high resolution ruler.

For depth of field the same rules apply as always.  The problem being
that the web site you showed doesn't have enough decimal places to
tell you the details.  I've found a few calculators that do, but they
are few and far between and the usual answer is "not a lot".

Leon

--

Leon