On Jul 17, 2011, at 5:45 PM, John Coyle wrote:

> Now the price of oil is less than US$70 per barrel, our A$ is worth more than
> US$1, and
> I'm paying A$1.45 per litre - go figure.

Much the same situation here but we're paying a little more, which may be due
to tax differences.

> Reports in the Australian press  have it that the price of oil is actually
> set by
> commodities speculators rather than supply and demand factors, so that we are
> faced with
> consumers being ripped off on a daily basis - when can we take 'em out and
> shoot 'em?

That's what I heard on the radio the other day.  A little revolution now and
then is a good thing...

To play devil's advocate, perhaps it serves us right for making our society
dependent on the stuff.

Dave