Here's what I found:

"Typically the sensor size is 1/5.5 that of 35mm film, thus the limit
for the onset of visible diffraction limit for  12 megapixels is
f/2.4. Since only one small-sensor camera currently has a lens that
fast, this means that small cameras are always diffraction limited and
that megapixel counts much above about 12—which is currently
offered—are almost pointless. This observation explains why typical
small cameras do not even allow f-stops smaller than f/8: at f/8 the
onset-of-diffraction limit is 450 lines, corresponding to about 1.5
megapixels.

The author has also observed this effect: pictures taken at f/8 are
visibly, disappointingly less sharp than those taken at wider
apertures. I have started using a pocket camera with manual override
to assure that I use apertures wider than about f/5, and preferable
much wider, whenever possible."

The site is:
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/guest/physical_limits.html

--