Tom,
I do think photography has helped with our vision of distant situations.
It's easy to see the rung on the ladder just above us, and the one
just below us.
But it's harder to see many rungs below where things are more desperate.
We tend to organize our lives to avoid confronting these situations.
Photography helps bring the situations into our comfortable little bubble and
give us a chance to look carefully at what we try to avoid.
Sometimes it even moves us to action.
Regards,  Bob S.