On 2011-07-22 10:46 , John Sessoms wrote:
I've noticed that some characters in some names are represented as '?' when I
receive list emails. I've tried changing my options to display international
characters, but it's not working.

Anyone have hints how I might do this?

the answer depends on your email client (or browser, for webmail), your OS and what fonts you have installed ...

Or is the list server somehow stripping them out?

the listserv is handling the emails correctly -- passing along the encoding of the original email, which varies according to the sender; without specifics, it's hard to know specifically what's bollixing for your, but a quick sample shows the following encodings in emails on this list:

us-ascii -- (the majority) used in your email and surprisingly used by most of the non-US members; this encoding lacks any accented characters or "non-typewriter" punctuation (such as curly quotes)

utf-8 -- used in my email and a few others, huge character set

iso-8859-1 -- ASCII variant with a lot of Latin accented characters

windows-1252 -- superset of iso-8859-1 with more Latin accented characters

if an email is sent with the proper encoding, and your system properly interprets that encoding and uses fonts with glyphs that cover all the characters used in the email, then you should never see the '?' indications; otoh, an email may be sent in an encoding which doesn't cover some characters in the email, yet some systems may be "smart" enough to still display the intended glyphs; for example the modern recommendation when receiving iso-8859-1 is to assume it is windows-1252