Those of you in Norway are surely in shock. I just watched the 9 am Norway time
news conference by the police. The number of dead on Utoya island was raised to
84. In downtown Oslo it is still 7 deceased. They also warned that the
investigation would take months. They state the horrific crimes are
attributable to the one man, a local freemason who has never been on the police
radar. Central Oslo is coming under the control of the military, to allow the
police to investigate without interruption and to prevent looting.

They are still searching the waters around Utoya, as many tried to escape by
swimming away, knowing  there was no way they could reach land elsewhere. One
man swam away without removing his clothes or shoes first. He was forced to
turn back and go ashore before he sank and drowned. The gunman walked up to him
and shot him. But he survived and was interviewed. His timeline was reported as
at least one hour before the police arrived, and another hour until the
shooting stopped when the gunman was tracked down and arrested by a Delta Force
team. They recovered a "machine gun" they declined to identify. AK-47 certainly
comes to mind.

Part of the problem at the moment is that they have no positive idea of the
number of people that were on Utoya to begin with.

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of Norway this day.

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

http://gallery.me.com/jomac