Protecting society for one, yes, and also the belief is widely held
that prison is meant to motivate to resocialize even though by now it
is principally understood that this is not or not always or not
necessarily so... IMO juvenile offenders should be sent to prison for
a short time the very first time around rather than to give them
umpteen raised index fingers and then another umpteen wrist slaps and
then maybe after they've committed their first 15 or so violent crimes
to send them to kiddie prison with horseback riding and youth
discount... all that is achieved by doing so IMO is to teach them that
you can get away with a lot and maybe even get rewarded for it by
positive attention. Spending two nights in a cell with a bunch of
felons after your first shoplifting dare would probably cure a number
of people of wanting to experience that again. And no, I do not
believe in 3 strikes. I just think that if a threat is to be effective
it should be visible. And first and foremost, I believe that good
parenting, respect, attention and most of all education are the best
crime prevention out there. And as to Anders Bering Breivik or Andrew
Berwick as he liked to call himself on the internet is IMO a manic
nutjob who should be locked away from all and any publicity. That
would hurt him most.