Grade 2 is more or less "normal" contrast, IIRC. However even value seemed to vary from brand to brand of paper, Ilford papers tended to be a bit more contrasty at grade two than Kodak papers once again IIRC, Agfa papers were a bit more contrasty than either Ilford or Kodak. Sometimes that even varied within a manufactures line, so what grade 2 means depends on what papers you used.