On Jul 30, 2011, at 5:05 AM, Boris Liberman wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Here is a couple of photos by Galia:
>
> http://pentax-ways.blogspot.com/2011/07/peso-2011-27-before-and-after.html
>
> Be brutal and honest.

I love the concept. I hope that she plays with it more. Both grapes and glasses
of wine are subjects that she could learn a lot from practicing on.

The first one could be cropped in a bit tighter on the grapes.
As someone said, darkening it up a bit could help.
The shadow across the bottom bunch is distracting, if she could have picked the
offending  leaf that would help.

If she's shooting grapes out doors like that, there are a few things that she
could do that I think would help.  One is to position the camera so that the
entire background is in shadows.   Another would be to get a reflector (I use
the foil reflectors for windshields, they're cheap and work great) to get some
fill, she could at a time when the light was a bit better (later in the day),
she could also try shooting with the light more from the side rather than
directly behind her, possibly using a reflector for fill.   If you have an off
camera strobe, that can be a great way of putting good light on flowers, or
grapes, and darkening up the background.

The wine glass with the tablecloth is a clever idea.  I'd like to see a bit
more depth of field.  Another thing that might help would be to do something
the slightly shade the tablecloth behind the wine glass so that it's not quite
so bright, while keeping the tablecloth in the reflections brightly lit.

I'd also crop in on the middle 2/3 of the right 2/3 so that the bit in the stem
is in the lower left 1/3 composition point.