From: frank theriault
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:17 AM, P. J. Alling
<webstertwenty...@gmail.com> wrote:
Let's see the original Land Rover was built on a Jeep chassis. ?The last
vehicle that actually looked like a Land Rover was a Toyota Land Cruser.
?Rover was sold to Ford, who beyond all expectations actually improved
Rover's quality, but Ford was unable to make a profit on Rover so they sold
it to Tata. ? So really there's not much about Rover that's English at
all...
Uh-huh.  And Jaguar is also owned by Tata now.  And BMW is making Minis

I dunno.  Sounds pretty English to me...

cheers,
frank

BMW bought Rover in the first place to get the rights to the Mini. They turned around and sold Land Rover to Ford almost immediately.

I think Ford ended up having to sell Rover & Jaguar together to get anyone to take Jaguar.

The other orphan from Rover is MG. Last I heard the they were bought by a Chinese company Nanjing Auto, who were in turn merged with SAIC and they have an MG6 in production.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6i9Xo-BgHY

Back in 2008 or so there was a rumor that they were going to lease a U.S. factory and bring the MG marque back in the U.S. market. Looks like the bank crash in Sept 2008 killed that idea ... at least for now.

I'd like to see them come back here.

-----
No virus found in this message.