On Aug 10, 2011, at 4:46 PM, Steven Desjardins wrote:

> I know there are many IT types on the List.  I was reading about
> cameras running on a standard OS like Android.  I'm curious about your
> thoughts on this.

You mean like the gazillion android phones and tablets that all have cameras?

I'm not so sure that Android is the right choice. I also don't know as if
camera companies would want their firmware on a standard OS where users could
have a chance of reverse engineering and adding their own improvements.  How
many of the features in the K-5 rather than the K-r are software only, and
could be added to the cheaper platform if someone had a decent chance of
reverse engineering, or rewriting the firmware?

yes, it can be done now, but it's a lot more work.  I also don't think camera
companies would want to pay for the cost of migrating their software to a new
platform.

A standard OS would be good for the users, but that's not necessarily perceived
to be in the interests of the camera companies.