Comments inline...

In a message dated  8/24/2011 9:45:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jo...@panix.com writes:
If you  don't have a big investment in glass, are you sure you want to go
for a DSLR  system at all?  The compact mirrorless system cameras (such as
the NEX  cameras from Sony, or the various Olympus Pen models) offer almost
all the  performance of a DSLR in a smaller, lighter (and cheaper)  system.
--------------------
I do have a fairly large investment in glass,  but like I said, there is
only one lens in my Canon kit that I really like and  it is soft. I think it's
the focal length I really like: 28-135. Possibly the  weight as well, as it
is a bit lighter. Canon has advantages, Pentax has  advantages. Except for
the long telephotos, Pentax lenses are usually  significantly lighter than
Canon's. Canon lenses are heavy.

Both  Larry and I have K-5s, so if you are ever around the South Bay you
should
be  able to get your hands on one to see how it feels in the hand.  Larry
also
has a K-x, which is pretty close in size to the K-r.
That's a good  idea.

I've got the kit 18-55 zoom, and also the (expensive, but good) DA*  zooms
(16-50/f2.8, 50-135/f2.8, and 60-250/f4)

You might be able to  get an idea of the relative sizes of the K-5 and the
*ist-D and K10D in this  picture (the K-5 is in the middle):

http://www.jfwaf.com/Pentaxes.jpg

It's a little hard to tell, especially  since I have battery grips on the
K-5 and K10D, but basically, the K-5 is  smaller than the K10D/K20d bodies;
it's quite close in size to the  *ist-D.
-----------------
Well, well. I always thought that the K10 would  be too big for me, if the
K-5 is smaller...

I think my last Pentax was  the DS, the DS2, in fact, if there was a DS2.
Pretty sure it
wasn't the first  DS in the series, anyway. I didn't dislike it at all, I
was just limited in  lenses.

You can also see the three DA* lenses (the 60-250 on the K-5,  the 50-135
on the K10D, and the 16-50 standing up behind and to the left of  the K-5).
The lens on the *ist-D is the 18-55 kit zoom.

> Or I  could wait until the K-3?  (someone mentioned a new camera is in
the
> pipeline) comes out, and get a K-5 at  a reduced  price.

That would be a pretty long wait.  That was just speculation  - there's no
new DSLR known to be in the pipeline.  And, given the  current trend in the
camera marketplace (with particular reference to where  Ricoh seem to be
heading) I reckon we'll almost certainly see a mirrorless  camera system
(probably with a K-mount adapter), and a low-end DSLR, before  anything
at the high end. In fact I wouldn't be totally surprised if we never  see
a DSLR from Pentax that's significantly better than the K-5; it  depends
on how fast the market shifts away from  DSLRs.
------------------------
Good to know. Been away too long, didn't  realize everyone is shifting to
mirrorless. This group kept me informed, in the  past, about changes like
that.

> The 17-45 zoom looks  good, but  getting one with a longer focal length
> might be a tad   tricky.

The 17-70 seems to be getting some pretty good reviews; I'd look  at that.
Okey dokey.

Thanks, John. Maybe I  can see your guys' stuff sometime. Maybe we can set
up a mini-meet or a meet  meet.

Marnie aka Doe :-)