On 8/27/2011 12:07 PM, Walt Gilbert wrote:
On 8/26/2011 3:55 PM, frank theriault wrote:
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 11:52 PM, Walt Gilbert<ldott...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Well, it's that time again. Every 13 years, or so, we're overrun with these
dudes.  Up until the past few weeks, I thought my area had somehow been
spared their incessant, shrill drone (is that a contradiction in terms?). But, sure enough, the sound began, and I started finding their shells stuck
to the trees, fence posts, lawn furniture, etc.

I caught this one alive, making his way up a support beam in the garage one night as I was having a lovely beverage. I named him "Coolio" -- because I
was drunk.

Again, this was shot with my K 50/1.4 on the K-x with a reversing ring. ISO
100, f/11, 1/180 with flash.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/walt_gilbert/6078219457/

I figured I had to get a shot now, since I won't get a chance again for 13
years.  Comments welcome as always.
I've heard of seven year Cicadas. I didn't know there were 13 year ones.

Coolio, eh?  What would you have named him if you were sober?

;-)

Terrific shot, BTW!!

cheers,
frank

Thank you, Frank!

I'm not sure what I'd have named him if I'd been sober. Probably something much more sensible, like Zoltar. He looks like a Zoltar to me.

-- Walt

I carefully edited my response then erased half of it, then carefully reedited it to make no sense whatsoever.

--
Where's the Kaboom?  There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering Kaboom!

        --Marvin the Martian.