> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> Brian Walters

> The main requirements are:
>
> * Max. pixel dimensions: 800 x 800 pixels

Godfrey mentioned a few weeks ago that pictures on my website seemed quite
small at 600x400. I orignally chose this when the PUG was limited to 700px
on the long since because it covers the 35mm ratios easily, whereas 700
doesn't quite.

I replied to Godfrey that my normal maximum for the long edge now is 720px
because it subdivides nicely and means that every picture can have the same
size long edge, which is good for consistency on the website. For example
4/3rds is 720x540, normal 35mm dimensions are 720x480.

The maximum of 800 has the same problem (perhaps too strong a word) as 700
in that for some aspect ratios setting the long side to 800px means that the
short edge ends up as a fraction so you have to let your resizing software
choose which pixels to remove. For example, 35mm dimensions become
800x533.33333... So the biggest you can actually have without this monkeying
about is 798, whereas for 4/3rds you'd get the whole lot in 800.

This means that the website is likely to have different maximum dimensions
on each page, which makes for a jerky and inconsistent appearance in the
page transitions.

Purely by coincidence, when I was googling something work-related last week
I found a website which pointed out that 960 is one of those magic numbers
like 720 which subdivides into zillions of different whole numbers, namely:
2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20, 24, 30, 32, 40, 48, 60, 64, 80, 96,
120, 160, 192, 240, 320 and 480. This gives you plenty of options for
different dimensions and cropping, while retaining that important
consistency.

Something to consider next time the max dimensions are reviewed.